TRADE SHOW - SPEAKERS - SPECIAL EVENTS - PROGRAM - QUILT - REGISTER ONLINE
Organic Connections is pleased to host “Taste of Organic” on Sunday, November 21, 2010. This new consumer event is a kick off to the Fourth Biennial Organic Connections Conference and Trade Show at TCU Place in Saskatoon.
The event will feature a number of exciting happenings including:
- A dynamic Trade Show floor featuring organic sector booths, including local food booths offering a taste of organic dishes.
- Guest speaker, Maria Rodale, CEO of the Rodale Institute and Author of “
Organic Manifesto: How Organic Farming Can Heal Our Planet, Feed the World, and Keep Us Safe. will give a presentation and autograph books.
- Organic Chef Competition –Watch chefs work with organic ingredients they will have 30 minutes to prepare and plate a dish for a panel of judges to taste and grade. The winning team will receive a Certificate and the distinction of the title “Champion Organic Chef” as well as an award.
- Interactive and educational booths in the trade show area with information and activities on environmentally conscious lifestyle choices.
Will hold their AGM in the Gallery A Room at 4:45– 5:45 pm. All those interested are invited to attend.
- 200 students from six to eight classrooms in and around Saskatoon are becoming Organic Kids!
Beginning with National Organic Week (October 9 to 16 ) the students and will utilize a unit of science study developed by the Food Miles Committee of the Saskatchewan Organic Directorate. The focus of this unit is to create awareness about our food, its quality and the environmental impact it can have. At the end of the seven week period the students and their teachers will be involved in a daylong field trip to TCU place to attend the Organic Connections Conference on November 23rd. Students and teachers will participate in a number of learning and actions stations designed to specifically build on their knowledge gained in the previous seven weeks. The day will end with an Organic Jeopardy Challenge where classrooms will compete for top Organic Classroom and for prizes and products.
Throughout the Organic Connections conference you will have a chance to bid on a number of Wonderful prizes and items. A featured article will be the fantastic Connections Quilt featuring heritage barns and shelters from our rural spaces. This quilt was created by artist Marilyn Shivak. Traditionally these buildings have protected the wealth of the farmstead; the animals, the grain, the seed, the tools of the farm. To celebrate not only this vanishing symbol of the countryside, but the art and creativity that also sprung from prairie soil, we have commissioned this a one-of-kind quilt featuring 13 different structures. Each square has been sponsored by a farm or business whose names have been embroidered on it. Come and bid on this one of a kind piece of art.
Maria Rodale will old book signings on Sunday at 1:30 at the Taste of Organic and again on Monday watch for times to be posted at the conference.